Impressions of the GlobalTech Robotic Workshop 2016
The GlobalTech Robotic Workshop hosted at TUM was a success, with more than 90 participants! The intense exchange over two days with presentations and the tour through the different chairs at TUM that work on robotic topics was impressive. We would like to thank all the speakers and presenters for their participation!
Apart from Professors of TUM, we had the pleasure to welcome speakers of the Carnegie Mellon University. The Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University was established in 1979 and counts among the worldwide hubs of robotics research - with the aim to conduct basic and applied research in robotics technologies relevant to industrial and societal tasks. There are nearly 1,000 faculty, staff, students, post-doctoral fellows and visitors at the Robotics Institute.
The host of the workshop at TUM, Prof. Gordon Cheng, concluded: “The workshop was a great success with near 90 participants on a sunny Sunday with high quality presentations by PIs in core areas of robotics, plus an exciting lab tour through all the robotic activities in Munich, with both TUM and DLR showcasing their activities."
Furthermore, we would like to give a special thanks to all our supporters for their generous help: The Global Tech Alliance Office at TUM, Siemens AG and TUMForte! The event would not have been possible without them.
You can also have a look at the album on our Facebook-page.
To start the slide show just click on one of the pictures. Copyright for the pictures: A. Hedergott/TUM, U. Benz/TUM and ICS/TUM.
GlobalTechAlliance Robotic Workshop on May 22-23, 2016
A global technological phenomenon is underway - advance of robotics is moving at a rapid pace. In order to keep pace, key global players in the field are forming strategic alliances.
To mark this occasion a joint workshop will take place in Munich centered on the latest research in robotics.
The speakers are both from TUM and the Carnegie Mellon University,
May 22nd - workshop with presentations
Start: 9 a.m.
Hosts: Prof. Gordon Cheng (TUM) and Prof. Martial Hebert (CMU)
List of speakers (details and agenda to follow):
- Prof. Martial Hebert: "Dependable vision"
- Prof. Matt Mason: "Extrinsic dexterity"
- Prof. Nathan Michael: “Coordinated Active Perception and Exploration in 3D-Rich and Cluttered Environments”
- Prof. Maxim Likhachev: “Heuristic Search: From Robotic Systems to Robotics-grounded AI Systems”
- Prof. George Kantor: "High-Throughput Plant Phenotyping in the Field with Robots"
- Prof. Ralph L. Hollis: "Physical Compliance with Dynamically Stable Mobile Robots"
- Dr. Sebastian Scherer: "Safe and Robust Autonomous Flight in Challenging Conditions”
- Prof. Darius Burschka: "Robust Coupling of Perception to Control in Highly Dynamic Large-Scale Environments"
- Prof. Nassir Navab: "Intra-operative, Multi-modal Robotic Imaging"
- Prof. Dr. Tim Lueth: "Medical Robotics"
- Prof. Daniel Cremers: "Visual SLAM for Autonomous Quadcopters"
- Prof. Gordon Cheng: "Humanoid Robotics"
- Prof. Alin Albu-Schaeffer :"Soft Robotics for Interaction with Humans and Unknown Environments!"
- Prof. Matthias Althoff: "Safe Human-Robot Co-Existence through Online Verification"
- Prof. Dongheui Lee: "Incremental Robot Skill Learning by Human Motion Retargetting and Physical Human Guidance"
May 23rd - lab tour through TUM by bus on a first come, first serve basis (morning at Campus Downtown, afternoon DLR/Oberpfaffenhofen and Garching then to Weihenstephan for dinner.
The lab tour is fully booked - registration only possible for Sunday!
The workshop will take place in the lecture hall 0601 (Theresianum) at TUM's main campus.
Here is a map:
Please note that the main campus can only be accessed through the main gate on a Sunday. More details.
Deadline for registration was May 14, 2016!
- Ibis Hotel, Dachauerstr. 21, 80333 München Room rate approx.: € 75,00
- Augusten Hotel, Augustenstr. 2, 80333 München Room rate approx.: € 90,00
- Flemming´s Hotel, Bayerstr. 47, 80335 München Room rate approx.: € 125,00
- NH Hotel Deutscher Kaiser, Arnulfstr. 2, 80335 München Room rate approx.: € 110,00
- Marriot Courtyard Munich City Center, Schwanthalerstr. 37, 80336 München Room rate approx. € 120,00